Internet Explorer wont connect.

Indigo 1 00:14 05 Apr 2004

My browser has stopped connecting to the net.

When I have shut down the PC and re-started, my modem connects fine but when I click IE6 it says page cannot be found when it used to bring up the familiar Dial-Up panel saying "Connecting To...."

It was fine untill I uninstalled some printer drivers and re-installed them and now I have to use aonther prog such as Outlook Express or MSN Explorer to get online then switch to IE6.

I don't want to do a system restore cos I don't want the printer problem back,.

Any ideas ? I can't find the settings for this anywhere.

I have ADSL 512K and WXP pro using Connexant Access Runner drivers.

Djohn 00:17 05 Apr 2004

Look to the toolbar, click on file and see if work offline is ticked. If so un-tick and it should connect. j

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 00:19 05 Apr 2004

Is explore set to use the connection as default in options.

Regards.

Indigo 1 00:28 05 Apr 2004

Work Offline is not ticked.

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË

Only have one connection set up and it is set as default.

Djohn 11:30 05 Apr 2004

Tools/internet options/connections tab. In my settings I have 2 options. 1) is the name of my ISP.

2) is the broadband modem.

My default is set to the modem as this is what connects you to your ISP. If you have the same, try making the modem the default.

If not then it may be best to use the "Set-up Wizard" from the same connection tab to set-up your account again. Make a note of all your settings, numbers etc. make the new account and delete the existing one after testing the new one. j.

Indigo 1 16:05 05 Apr 2004

Nope That didn't work, in fact it couldn't connect at all, I set it up with all exactly the same settings and it failed to find the server.

IE6 still did not even bring up the Dial-Up properties window and Outlook Express brought the Dial-Up window but the thing just kept on dailling without finding the server.

Just had a thought.

I had forgotten that I am using Naviscope, but can't find any settings to change that will affect the connections. Ideas on this ?

Indigo 1 22:10 05 Apr 2004

To see if there's anyone else with any new ideas.

woodchip 22:16 05 Apr 2004

Go to find files and look for Internet Explorer it will be a .EXE file mine on Win98 is in Program Files. You can right click this and drag a shortcut to the Start Button then try it

Indigo 1 22:27 05 Apr 2004

It works cheers woodchip ;o)

Created new shortcut on desktop from the .EXE file then dragged a copy to Quick Start toolbar and deleted non working shortcut and Quick Launch icon.

Cheers M8

woodchip 22:29 05 Apr 2004

Delete any old no working shortcut's. Glad it sorted it

Indigo 1 22:29 05 Apr 2004

It's now even quicker too, no pause while Dial Up properties is loaded and does it's bit. It connects immediately.

This is a great forum. 80)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?