Internet Explorer will not open

dinglewolves 21:57 24 Oct 2008

hi Guys, wondered if you could help (as you always have done in the past :-) )

earlier on this evening i had a little envelope telling me I could update my Norton 360 to norton 360 2.0. I started the download but accidentally ended up uninstalling it... anyway, since then whenever I have clicked on my desktop shortcut to I.E the little egg timer has appeared for a few seconds then disapeared but the window hasnt opened. I have tried to open it by right clicking it etc but to no avail (I think I may have clicked on something that said open without add-ons but that has disapeared without a trace). I did a system restore to an earlier date but still nothing. As I said I am running norton 360 anti virus and Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2.

Please be gentle with your responses I am not the most technical person :-)

Technotiger 22:05 24 Oct 2008

I would un-install IE8 Beta (I am not the most technical person) and instead install IE7. I would further advise you to avoid Beta programs where possible.

dinglewolves 22:07 24 Oct 2008

i tried doing that when i actually installed IE8 but it would let me install an earlier version... :-S

dinglewolves 22:09 24 Oct 2008

i just went through the control panel and managed to get onto windows update and microsoft homepage, but still nothing when I click on IE

Technotiger 22:12 24 Oct 2008

In Control Panel>Add and Remove, click on Add and Remove Windows Components, in the left-hand column, you should then be able to Remove Internet Explorer and then Install IE7.

provider 2 23:16 24 Oct 2008

There could be a problem with something you haven`t actually mentioned ... XP sp3?
In order to uninstall IE 8 you will need to uninstall SP3 first, IF it was installed before SP3 ... if not, then you should be able to roll back to IE7: click here

Also, again assuming you have installed SP3, did you download this first: click here

If you are running Vista, of course, then none of this is relevant.

birdface 23:47 24 Oct 2008

Maybe a system restore to a time before you had the problem.

birdface 23:54 24 Oct 2008

Oops you already tried that.Sorry.Can you get into Internet Options in Control Panel.Advanced and press reset.You can do that with IE7 but do not know if it will work with IE8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?