Internet Explorer...This is a weird one

phil 10:30 15 Jun 2003

On my XP machine I have myself set up as an administrator and 4 others as users.

In Internet Explorer on my user I can click on any link or search from any search engine and it takes me where I want.

On the other users IE it won't do this. For example:
In Google you type in a word, click search and nothing happens but if you click on a text link, say, Google News it takes you straight there.

I've tried right clicking and 'Open in new window' but all I get is a blank page with nothing in the address bar.

It's similar in other normal web pages. I can click on a text link and go where I'm supposed to but if I click on a graphic/image link or use a search box on that site I get zilch.

I've checked all the settings on each user and they match the ones on my user.

Security wise I use Zone Alarm, Norton 2002, Ad Aware, Mailwasher and Spybot but I don't think any of these are stopping access to other sites.

I'm now at my wits end and about to re-install XP but having to get every ones stuff back terrifies me.

Any ideas?

VoG® 10:37 15 Jun 2003

Very strange...

This is the "classic" fix for the blank window syndrome.

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

phil 07:39 16 Jun 2003

Thanks for that but after trying everything that Microsoft recommend apart from re-installing XP it seems that my only option will be to do just that.

I shall try the easy option first, re-installing over the top, but feel it will have to be a clean install. A job for the weekend, I hope it rains otherwise I get it in the ear!

Thanks again, I'll follow this up once it's been sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?