Internet Explorer virus problem

SPIKE69 14:06 06 Feb 2004

I cannot get Internet Explorer to dial out. Windows detects an error and invites me to send an error message to Microsoft. This fails because Explorer can't get out and I get the same error message repeated.

Seems like I should uninstall Explorer and reload. I can't do this because Explorer is a protected program.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Many thanks

Spike69

Jester2K 14:08 06 Feb 2004

and whats the error exactly?

Stuartli 14:11 06 Feb 2004

Explorer is a protected program? In which way exactly?

SPIKE69 07:33 08 Feb 2004

Thanks folks for the responses.
The error message I get is
"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
I tick the box for it to restart, and I get the same message.
the error signature I get is
"AppName.iexplore.exe AppVer 6.0.2800.1106. Mod Name-sysns.dll. ModVer:0.0.0.0. offset 000143ce.

When I tried to uninstall I.E.6. via Norton. I was advised than it could not be uninstalled because it is a protected file.

Hence I am stuck.

Seekit, thanks for the lead but it was not releveant to Win2000 Pro.

hoverman 07:45 08 Feb 2004

If appropriate, have you tried System Restore to see if it will cure the problem?

VoG II 09:11 08 Feb 2004

Try a repair click here

SPIKE69 12:12 09 Feb 2004

Many thanks for your time folks, I've tried all recommended solutions, to no avail. I'm hoping I will not have to reload Win2000 and thereby have to reload all my software, etc.

I'll hold off for a few days in the hope that another solution might turn up.

Cheers and thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?