Internet Explorer---Very very slow

cagey 11:40 01 Apr 2003

I am using an AMD2000, 256Mb Ram,40G HDD, WinXP.
I have been using Internet Explorer (IE6) without any problems. When I logged on last night, I could receive emails OK, but when I tried to log on to IE sites, it tried to open but after a couple of minutes I would get the dreaded message "This page cannot be opened". I couldn't even get this site to open. After a couple of attempts this morning, I have finally got in. I have emptied my Temp Internet folder, tried disabling XP Firewall and checked security setting(default). Could you please help me on this one. A quick response would be appreciated in case I lose this connection and can't log on to your site again.

flecc 12:38 01 Apr 2003

You could try using a restore point to go back to before this happened.

cagey 12:43 01 Apr 2003

I appreciate that you are extremely busy, but I would like a reply to my problem. I am scared that if I log out now I will not be able to open your site again. I have been trying (whilst waiting for a reply) to open other sites and the only one I could log on to was my bank Account, all the rest I got the message "This page etc..."
after about two minutes.

Big Elf 12:47 01 Apr 2003

You're not with Freeserve are you? I've had similar problems for the last couple of days and think that they may be having problems.

Big Elf 12:50 01 Apr 2003

although they claim their service status is "We are currently unaware of any problems with the Freeserve network"

cagey 12:51 01 Apr 2003

Sorry flecc, I must have typing my hastener when your reply arrived. I am rather loathed to shut down in case I can't log on your lovely and helpful site again. Any further suggestions please?

cagey 13:47 01 Apr 2003

flecc and Big Elf...Tried going a restore point, still got the same problem. Took the bull by the horns and phoned the freeserve helpdesk, who kindly informed that the dial up number has been changed . Now that I am using new number everything is back to normal. Thanks very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache