Internet Explorer (version not known)

Les 18:19 28 Jun 2007

My neighbour's brother has bought a second hand computer - hishome page is set to a certain site- he wants to change it to Google.

His brother (my neighbour) was shown how to do this some time ago and thus tried to do the same for his brother. However, when he goes into Tools/Internet Options/ he finds that the three buttons at the top of the form allowing this change are, in fact, greyed out. He got the Google page up and tried to set it as the home page from there - no luck of course.

Anyone have an idea why these buttons should be greyed out - I've never seen that before!

[email protected] 18:33 28 Jun 2007

fyi
though i use firefox, so someone else may be better placed to advise
repairs
click here
if ie7 try tools internet options/advanced/reset
also might be worth doing the spyware/malaware scans

Stuartli 18:34 28 Jun 2007

Clicking on IE's Help and selecting "About" will reveal the particular version.

It might be an older version or even, perhaps, there is malware on the system preventing the home page being changed.

Stuartli 18:36 28 Jun 2007

If and when you do get the grey buttons back, you have to have the page you require as the home page (i.e. Google in this case) on the screen.

You then click on the Use Current Page button.

VoG II 18:40 28 Jun 2007

Try setting it with click here

Also see click here

Les 18:55 28 Jun 2007

*THE RAVEN*, Stuartli and VoG™

I've downloaded the info and will 'post' it through my neighbours letter box - as he is rarely at home It may be some time before I hear anything from him.

As the computer is second hand that may well be the reason why it was sold to him. Ten to one he hasn't a disc containing the OS.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Les 18:20 02 Jul 2007

As expected, I had no reply to my 'posted' replies from the forum.

You will not be bothered by his problems in future, enough is enough!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017