Internet Explorer Settings - Serious Problems

Anti_Virus 20:49 24 Apr 2007

The other day I went on to my uncles pc to play a prank on his daughter (my cousin). I wanted to block her from going on bebo.com. I went into Internet Explorer Settings and on content advisor told it to block bebo.com . It askede me to make a password so I just made it my uncles name and also as the password hint. Apparently since I've left though, they couldn't get on any web sites. Apparently it was blocking cookies and everything. During the process of my uncle trying to rectify the problem, the computer has frozen, and upon restart no programs will start. he's running XP SP2, with IE6. He's rung me up and not suprisingly was quite angry. But I can'r figure out who blocking one site has caused all these problems. Any one help?

Stuartli 20:54 24 Apr 2007

I'm not surprised he's angry.

Probabilitydrive 20:57 24 Apr 2007

Curious tale, wicked humour..The easiest way out is > go into 'safe mode' > start up > accessories > system tools > system restore.

Choose a point before you got the giggles and all should be well.

Anti_Virus 20:57 24 Apr 2007

well like i said neither am I - but still, as guilty as I already do feel, I just can't acceept that changing the list of restricted sites has brocken windows. Any HELPFUL comments would be welcome.

Anti_Virus 21:03 24 Apr 2007

cheers probabilitydrive, i had previously thought about that, but wasn't sure it would fix the problems. I will try it tho, btw, my above comment was directed at stuartli.

MAJ 21:09 24 Apr 2007

For someone so unsure of their computing capabilities, you shouldn't mess around with someone else's PC. Anger and guilt redirection (towards Stuartli) aside: Lesson learnt?

Anti_Virus 21:15 24 Apr 2007

Yes thankyou

Anti_Virus 21:18 24 Apr 2007

And I felt confident enough with my capabilities on a computer and internet explorer to change the list of restricted websites on the content advisor, without worrying that windows would (in lack of a better word) break.

johnnyrocker 23:51 24 Apr 2007

a little knowledge?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?