Internet Explorer problem

kangawallafox 06:52 29 Aug 2004

Hi all,
I ended up with a truck load of spyware/malware/trojans on my computer the other day from some site or other, I scanned with Adaware 6, A²(A squared)and Panda Antivirus.
Got rid of all the adware/malware etc, but now I can't log into hotmail.
I get as far as the log in screen, enter my username and password, but all it loads is a blank white page.
Tried resetting everything to default in I.E., even tried re-installing XP Pro, but neither of those helped.
Can still access hotmail with Netscape, so changed my password just in case.

Anyone have any ideas how I can re-access hotmail with I.E.???

Phil

Valvegrid 07:37 29 Aug 2004

Go to control panel then Add/Remove programs and click on Microsoft Internet Explorer and internet tools, click on remove, a menu will appear with three options, click on the option to repair.

VoG II 07:48 29 Aug 2004

IE repair for XP click here

kangawallafox 07:55 29 Aug 2004

Thank you Valvegrid, tried the uninstall/repair option with no luck.

Will try VoG™'s repair link now......

kangawallafox 08:23 29 Aug 2004

Tried the repair options listed in that link VoG™, but still the problem remains.

Looks like I might have to get used to using Netscape for hotmail....
Or do a format and reinstall.....

VoG II 08:47 29 Aug 2004

The alternative is to read your Hotmail in Outlook Express. In OE, Tools/Accounts, Mail tab. Click the Add button and follow the prompts. When you get to the Email Server screen choose HTTP from the drop-down.

Apologies if you already know this.

kangawallafox 08:53 29 Aug 2004

Actually I didn't know that.
Thank you for the info VoG™
I always like learning new things to do with computers. That's one of the reasons I come to PC Advisor. :-)

Stuartli 08:56 29 Aug 2004

Might be worth looking in Add/Remove again, but this time Add/Remove Components, to see if IE is checked.

Bugzee 11:02 29 Aug 2004

i had a problem like yours , does the blank page have a padlock at the bottom ? if it has go in to tools on the page click on security and restore defaults , it worked for me

Bugzee 11:06 29 Aug 2004

sorry , tools , internet options ,security , restore defaults

kangawallafox 23:42 29 Aug 2004

Thanks Bugzee, tried your suggestion (the closed padlock does appear), however, ensuring security levels were set to default has made no difference. I still get the blank white page after logging in to hotmail. :-(

I do have XP-Lite, so I might just totally uninstall IE through that, and then reinstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?