internet explorer not loading/windows liveonecare

dawnadrian 11:00 11 Jul 2010

turned on my pc, internet explorer wouldn't load. I have a 2 yr sub for windows live onecare and it comes up with the message 'windows live onecare cannot continue... service is not working and has been stopped' i still have about a years\sub left on that, could that be why ie has stopped working, can't access internet on pc at all now

tullie 11:25 11 Jul 2010

This any good?click here

provider 2 11:26 11 Jul 2010

... or FAQs about the refund program: click here

dawnadrian 12:16 11 Jul 2010

thanks but i had already looked on those and thought it wouldn't be that. I thought maybe a system restore might help but when i try and open that program it just freezes so it looks like i have major problems anyway

provider 2 12:31 11 Jul 2010

I haven`t heard of any malware that would completely zap the Windows Live OneCare program even though the service itself is now defunct.

You haven`t anything to lose by uninstalling it now anyway (you can still apply for a refund) and run your other security software scans to see if you have indeed picked up something nasty.

If you don`t have any, see if you can get to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware click here Download, update and run the free version and quarantine everything it finds.

provider 2 12:39 11 Jul 2010

You may have to use Safe Mode (F8 repeatedly as Windows loads) and then "Safe Mode with Networking" to get to the MBAM site.

dawnadrian 13:33 11 Jul 2010

trying to uninstall onecare but pc seems to freeze and not got any further,i need to ask other users to save stuff from their profiles before i do anything drastic. windows live messenger was working but now freezes when i try to sign in. (i'm accessing internet on old laptop that is v v slow)

dawnadrian 14:34 11 Jul 2010

used safe mode and did system restore and ran the malwarebytes free download but it said nothing infected. still no luck with internet explorer and still can't uninstall onecare, would it be better to go into 'c' program files and delete onecare from there?

provider 2 16:16 11 Jul 2010

No, not yet.

It looks as if you may have to use the Windows Live OneCare clean-up utility:click here

Failing that and hopefully not necessary will be to go to Supprt where they will tell you how to edit the registry.

dawnadrian 18:43 11 Jul 2010

used onecare clean up, that was ok , i can go on ie in safe mode so why is it just freezing when in the 'connecting' bit on normal mode?

provider 2 10:38 12 Jul 2010

Frankly, I don`t know ... though I suspect even the clean-up utility may have left something in the registry that`s interfering with your connection.

Suggest you have a choice:

1. Use Safe Mode to connect to Ms Support in the link above where they will know exactly which registry keys need to be removed.

2. Run the registry cleaner tool in CCleaner, make the prompted back-up of what it intends to remove, and let it remove the orphaned registry keys that are causing the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?