Internet Explorer Locked into a Start-up/Fail Loop

Drusen 10:32 04 Dec 2010

I keep getting an error message almost as soon as my homepage is displayed ('Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close').

The error details are:

AppName: iexplorer.exe
AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702
ModName: tbzonl.dll
ModVer: 5.7.2.2
Offset: 0014ba56

The PC hasn't been used since I ran Glary Utilities and CCleaner registry cleaner last week. I wondered if these programs had caused some problem.

I have tried to restore the system to before these programs were ran, but that fails.

I have also tried to restore the details that Ccleaner removed from the registry, but this fails as well.

Incidentally, I am able to download emails and update programs.

Thanks.

Halmer 10:34 04 Dec 2010

browser?

Drusen 10:49 04 Dec 2010

It did cross my mind. I've heard good things about Safari.

Since posting, I've discovered a possible solution which I'm going to try shortly. It seems that someone, somewhere, is having exactly the same problem as me.

I will let you know how I get on.

Halmer 10:56 04 Dec 2010

luck.

Drusen 11:41 04 Dec 2010

The solution worked, but there's a bit of a twist - I'll leave that until the end.

Here it is:

Reset your browser. Note: by resetting the browser, you will lose your personal settings, but you can just input these again.

1. Go to Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Click on Internet Options
4. Click on Advanced Tab
5. Click on Reset your Browser
6. Restart browser and it should work

Twist: I started to set up my toolbars and everything was okay until I selected one of the 2 ZoneAlarm ones. The SpyBlocker toolbar is okay but the plain ZoneAlarm toolbar caused the same problem to re-occur. I went to internet options (3., above), deselected it and the browser worked normally again.

Interestingly, 'ModName: tbzonl.dll' appeared in the error details (see above). As far as I'm aware, 'tbzonl.dll' refers to ZoneAlarm or (most likely)the ZoneAlarm toolbar. I suspect that there's recently been an update and this has caused the problem.

I hope this is of help to someone else.

BBW 14:50 04 Dec 2010

Many thanks for taking the trouble to update us, will have a look at my daughters PC with the same trouble!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?