'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem'

Graham. 19:44 12 Feb 2007

'and needs to close'. I've seen this in the Helproom before, but never took any notice. So here is my version:

Desktop no problem. Wireless laptop - only happens on PCA!

Tried:
IE6, IE7: Yes it happens.
Firefox: No.
Direct connection to router: Yes.

Lately I no longer get the message, IE just closes.

Ran System File Checker (sfc /scannow): 'DLL files are missing, insert Windows CD'. Of course I don't have one.

Ran System Recovery from the DVD I made on first startup, both non-destructive and full format, several times.

PC World have had two go's at it under warranty. Their only suggestion is to ring the Helpline (your call will be answered in 29 minutes).

Any advice will be welcome.

Probabilitydrive 20:13 12 Feb 2007

Checking the entries in the event viewer may reveal more about the application crash.

Kalb 20:36 12 Feb 2007

I had this self same problem a while back and usually on this site when going back from a thread, such as this, to the helproom.
How up to date are your Windows updates and are you sure they are all working....use Belarc or some such to check the updates. A number are IE specific and fairly important. My problem disappeared when I downloaded up to date.

Graham. 20:54 12 Feb 2007

Nothing relavent in Event Viewer. All updates come flying in after every Recovery.

Graham. 22:43 12 Feb 2007

Fairly quick response from the Helpdesk once I had spent several minutes navigating the platform. They had me try to copy the Recovery disc I had made to the hard drive. This failed straight away (I had already tried it).

They are sending me a Recovery disc, which will take 5 - 10 days to arrive.

How's that for service?

Graham. 16:11 13 Feb 2007

This is only happening on PC Advisor. I can browse away, open numerous tabs, but shortly after opening PCA, off it goes. I have to use Firefox to access PCA.

So, what is different about this site?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?