internet explorer gone!

kayell1 12:38 20 May 2009

Hi...Need help please in simple words if you can as I know little about PCs. About 2 weeks ago I mitakenly loaded a virus on my desktop and bought Bullguard to remove 4 serious viruses in total. I then had problems on the net moving from one site to another as i kept getting the message..."Internet Explorer ...This program cannot display the webpage". A few days ago I received a message from Microsoft that IE 8 was available and I downloaded it (I think). Immediately I lost the ability to connect to the internet via the Internet Explorer icon on my desktop and have had to use the BT Yahoo browser icon on my task bar to get to the net. I am getting a home page that is not the usual one as I can't see a 'favourites' list and I am still getting the message when I try to visit more than one web site. When I try t install IE 7 I get the message that there is already an updated IE on my system. What is going wrong please? How do I get rid of the internet explorer supposedly already on my sysyem? Also I am now getting the regular message ina window..."Internet Explorer Script Error". Please help....thanks

oldbeefer2 14:13 20 May 2009

If XP, go to start, Control Panel, Add/remove programmes and delete IE8 from there - it should roll back to 7. If Vista it is similar, but in Add/remove, look under 'Updates'. I'd run the free Malwarebytes software first to see if there is anything lurking that Bullguard didn't pick up.

kayell1 15:57 20 May 2009

thanks for help oldbeefer2, I have deleted IE8 and downloaded and installed IE7 and it seems to be great now. Where do i find the free Malwarebytes software you mention please?

User-1229748 16:01 20 May 2009

file hippo is a good safe site to download frclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?