Internet Explorer freezing

Garb 11:55 15 Dec 2008

Am having problems with IE7. Freezes up (not responding) shortly after starting browsing. Try to end the application with task manager but the CPU usage goes to 100% and it takes ages for it to actually shut down. In the list of processes something called "dumprep.exe" is taking up a lot of CPU usage and when I terminate that, IE shuts down immediately. When I restart browsing IE is generally OK after that.

Win XP pro SP2. Have run system file checker.

Any ideas why IE7 playing up?

Garb

Sea Urchin 12:55 15 Dec 2008
  Garb 13:13 15 Dec 2008

Have tried both methods suggested in the Microsoft link and dumprep doesn't appear in either the start up utility or in the registry.
Does it only appear when trying to run? Have seen an article where Zone Alarm 8 gives problems with IE in Vista. Have recently upgraded Zone Alarm Free. Is this likely to be a prob with XP pro?

Sea Urchin 13:42 15 Dec 2008

An alternative method to disable

click here

I run ZoneAlarm 8 with both XP Pro and Vista without any conflicts - if your problem started only after updating ZA then I would try unistalling/reinstalling it, but try disabling Error Reporting first as above

BBW 15:25 16 Dec 2008

Best advice I have seen on the forum is: Go to IE7 Tools>Internet option> Advanced - Reset Internet Explorer settings. Cured all my problems.

Garb 16:41 16 Dec 2008

Thanks, disabled error reporting in Control Panel/System/Advanced/error reporting. Couldn't open the link in your second post Sea Urchin. Zone Alarm wouldn't let me. Still don't know wy IE7 was freezing so often, but it seems to be behaving better now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie