internet explorer cant repair

tomcats 01:23 04 Mar 2005

My mothers p.c. has a problem with i.e. when I try to repair it the message reads something like internet explorer cannot complete repair as there is work outstanding from a previous ??? (cant remember but not significant) which requires a reboot upon which it does the same thing over and over Icannot choose the repaair and it will not add a componant also will not allow a new installation tilll the work outstanding requiring a reboot is done but of course it still says the same after a reboot .how do I delete it and install anew?

Mr_Mad 03:55 04 Mar 2005

I found this guide from the elder geeks site:

click here

Has a couple of good suggestions to get IE repaired/reinstalled.

Cheers,
Mr Mad.

tomcats 15:04 04 Mar 2005

Her p.c. runs 98se not caused trouble in the past but I have tried the system file checker and it tells me to reinstall files but it wont cos it then says work not complete from a previous installation of i.e which requires a restart and so it goes on, in a never ending circle,its like groundhog day

woodchip 15:11 04 Mar 2005

the Word missing is INSTALL. SO get a MAG disc with IE6 and reload but choose custom install. otherwise it will not work

tomcats 15:18 04 Mar 2005

Its i.e. 5.5 on a mag disc but it tells me the same thing.

woodchip 15:24 04 Mar 2005

As above if you choose Custom when you run it and remove or add a tick or two then it should work

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 15:36 04 Mar 2005
  zarobian 16:23 04 Mar 2005

If you remember the date when your computer was working normally then you can try to restore the registry to an early date.
You can run the following from Start-->Run or in a MSDOS mode.
FIRST OPTION:
START-->RUN and type "scanreg /restore"
(without quotes) press enter
Select a previous date when you think comp was working properly.
SECOND OPTION:
Boot to a command prompt (MSDOS MODE) and type "scanreg /restore" press enter (there is a space between scanreg and forward slash))(scanreg space/restore)now select a date you want restore to.

THIRD OPTION requires a lengthy registry editing. A bit risky option if you are not confident editing registries.

tomcats 16:50 04 Mar 2005

Might give that one a try tomcates I have tried everything else to no avail. I am going over tonight so I willpost on here later wether or not its been successful oity she isnt on the net.

tomcats 22:05 04 Mar 2005

scanreg/restore..... file not found,when I ran the mag disc it told me cannot install as previous installation had unfinished work which required a restart.. back to square one

tomcats 22:05 04 Mar 2005

scanreg/restore..... file not found,when I ran the mag disc it told me cannot install as previous installation had unfinished work which required a restart.. back to square one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?