Internet Explorer 8 any good?

gel 07:01 22 May 2009

Hi
I use firefox and have done since its introduction
Included with the last windows up date I was invited to install Internet Explorer 8.
Is it any good?
gel

gel 07:06 22 May 2009

Sorry
I have now read comments on Internet Exploer 8 in this forum so I think I shall wait awhile before installing
gel

rawprawn 07:08 22 May 2009

Yes, it is good, and offers more security tham IE7,download the update and try it. You can always revert back to Firefox as yourdefault browser should you want to.
The choice of browsers is a personal thing.

laurie53 08:29 22 May 2009

Seems OK with Win 7, tho' I don't use it much, but still rubbish on Firefox and Chrome on my set up.

provider 2 11:31 22 May 2009

IE 8 arrived here through automatic updates yesterday.

MSRT took quite a while to run and the installation wasn`t exactly quick.

I made the mistake of reading through some the stuff on "accelerators" and "web slices" plus links but got fed up and started to rush things ... mistake!

After I checked out a few web sites (all of them very slow to load), it went back automatically to the set-up routine and I had to go through
the "next", "next" sets of options to finish. Nothing (Avast, Win Def etc) turned off while installing.

It seems to be running fine now. It`s slow to load but after that it seems to be faster than IE 7, and about the same as Firefox.

I would suggest you take your time installing it and maybe avoid some problems that way.

T0SH 12:55 22 May 2009

If you have either Spybot Search and Destroy or Spywareblaster installed when you move to IE8 then the method they both (and possibly other programs by adding registry entries and hosts file entries) used to block bad web sites will cause IE8 to run like treakle kept in the fridge overnight:¬), best way to demonstrate this is to undo the protection on both then try to connect again, but whatever if you decide to stick with IE8 then uninstalling both is the only option I know of, Superantispyware seems to be a good trouble free replacement though but that is only my opinion

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone