Internet Explorer 8

mike40 10:58 09 Jan 2010

Hi

Internet Explorer 8 will not let me open links in PC advisor website and others. I have tried disabling all add ons but it persists. I am using windows 7 and tried to download IE8 from Microsoft website but it states it is not compatible with this operating system. Although I am the administrator it will not let me run sfc /scannow. Any ideas how to address this would be appreciated

Many thanks

Technotiger 11:06 09 Jan 2010

Try again, but in Safe Mode!

Technotiger 11:06 09 Jan 2010

PS - meaning, sfc ...

mike40 12:47 09 Jan 2010

Hi Technotiger

Just done that. It found no faults and the problem still exist. Have you anymore suggestions. As I said in my first post I tried to download IE 8 again from the wedsite thinking I could reload it but it wouldn't download. I am starting to think it was not a good idea to upgrade as I have several problems.

Many thanks

Ventad 12:51 09 Jan 2010

When I had that problem (vista though) I opened ie8/tools/internet options/advanced tab/and clicked RESET at bottom

User-1229748 12:52 09 Jan 2010

with several problems i think i would be tempted to do a full install.you could try a reset of internet explorer 8 by going tools-internet options-advanced-reset

User-1229748 12:53 09 Jan 2010

:o(

Technotiger 13:00 09 Jan 2010

I would suggest that you forget IE, un-install it and it might auto-revert to IE7 - at least it does in XP, and get Firefox instead. I have both Firefox and IE7, but use Firefox as my main browser.

mike40 13:06 09 Jan 2010

Hi smackheadz

I have tried that but it keeps telling me close all open programs which I have done but it will not reset.

Technotiger
That is the trouble with windows 7 you cannot unistall IE8. As a last resort I may re run the windows program and opt for an upgrade which I understand does not destroy your data.
I am beginning to think it was a bad move upgrading to win7 as I have had all sorts of problems and my computer is not all that old nor are any of my programs.

mike40 13:08 09 Jan 2010

Sorry I forgot add - I have Firefox which works fine so to save a load more grief I my just use that and ignore IE

Technotiger 13:11 09 Jan 2010

Fair enough, I am staying with XP now, and for the foreseeable future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?