Internet explorer 8

micemews 19:46 12 Aug 2009

I have windows xp sp2 and I am currently using Internet Explorer 7. If I create a restore point then download Internet explorer 8 and subsequently wish to go back to IE 7 can this be done by just going back to that restore point.

GaT7 19:51 12 Aug 2009

Yes, should do.

Otherwise you may need 'How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?' click here

Hope it will be a smooth upgrade & you won't have to do either. G

Sea Urchin 20:04 12 Aug 2009

Just a note of caution:

System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program.

Bald Eagle 21:36 12 Aug 2009

My daughter did exactly this and it made a right mess of her XP SP2 computer. She lost and never regained internet access using IE and now runs FireFox which she had to install from a disc.
BE

birdface 08:40 13 Aug 2009

Not sure if you need SP 3.5 downloaded first or not.That was also a bit troublesome for some.

micemews 20:34 17 Aug 2009

Thanks everyone for your response to my posting.
I note some people have had problems with IE 8, however I decided to chance it and download it and thankfully it seems to be working ok.

micemews 20:46 18 Aug 2009

Sorry I spoke too soon. IE 8 seems to be unable to access certain web sites that were accessible with IE 7 so I have uninstalled it and gone back to IE 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?