Internet Explorer 7 v Internet Explorer 6

spuds 21:19 09 Dec 2006

Over the last few days, I have downloaded the new version of IE7 and have been trial using this program. I like certain parts of the program, but have hit quite a few problems, with combining previously installed sections from IE6. When downloading the new version, I seem to recall that the installation procedure, seemed to state that combining the two would be fairly straight forward. Have I missed something, or are other people finding similar experiences.

One particular program that I have used with great success was the eBay reminder pop-up, which worked absolutely great with IE6, but it refuses to work with IE7. Is it now time to persist or revert back to IE6?.

Jackcoms 21:30 09 Dec 2006

I continue to be surprised by the recurring posts in the Forums saying "I've got problems with IE7 because ....".

They certainly outnumber the posts which say "I think IE7 is the dog's dangly bits".

I'm yet to be convinced that MS has really ironed it out yet.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with IE6.

Flying Teddy 21:36 09 Dec 2006

And as a trouble free alternative, I'm quite happy with Mozilla Firefox. For download, click here

rsinbad 22:07 09 Dec 2006

I have had no problems with IE7 final and come to think of it only a few minor problems with the previous beta's. Personally prefer it to using firefox.
I do see several problems regarding IE7, as with most new releases some will experience some problems ;but these issues can be resolved

woof

pk46 22:10 09 Dec 2006

It's fine on vista as it is standard but i don't like on my two older computers it could be me but it seems to slow them down.

rdave13 22:51 09 Dec 2006

Don't know if this will help but there is a new version of ebay toolbar compatible with IE 7. click here

jarani 23:03 09 Dec 2006

i have moved from ie6 to ie7 on winxp2 - strange at first but getting used to it now after some adjustments and adding the missing bits to the tool bar - all personal preferences - jarani

hugo8 00:24 10 Dec 2006

But I didn't like it at all purely on what it looked like, you know, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude kicked in here, so I reverted back to IE6 but in hindsight I will try it again to see what it is really like

wee eddie 00:31 10 Dec 2006

Wouldn't connect to anything. Dropped connections all over the shop. etc! etc!

Now, 2 weeks later, it's as smooth as silk and I am having no problems at all, wouldn't think about reverting to IE6

allanon 01:30 10 Dec 2006

I have read the comments from other people and I have also experienced problems with IE7. There is mention of rolling back to IE6. How do you do that?.

The probs mainly consist of problems getting links to work from websites.

spuds 01:30 10 Dec 2006

Thanks everyone for the response. It would seem that once IE7 begins to grow on you, the liking for the program kicks in. As I previously stated, the problem that I have is the difficulty in combining previous programs between IE6 and IE7, which seemed to suggest, was an easier task than it actually is. IE7 doe's seem faster in my opinion, once you get the hang of it, but being a new design, doe's confuse a little, especially when you are still looking for IE6 tabs.

Think that I will carry on for a few more days, and see how I get on. One further question: Converting back to IE6, is this straight forward?.

Thanks also for suggesting Firefox, I do use both Firefox and Opera as alternative well worth having browsers, when IE6 was proving troublesome in the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache