internet explorer 7 problems

pejay1967 14:00 23 Jan 2008

hi folks can anybody help i have a packard bell notebook 2 years old xp i have done away with norton and deleted the software and put on avg free. but for the last 4 months i cannot get onto internet explorer or avg updates or microsoft updates the only way i can get onto web is through aol 9 i have turned the firewall of to try and see if its the firewall but still no luck i use a wirelss router with a wireless card D-link if any1 can help i would be very grateful

birdface 14:23 23 Jan 2008

Run the Norton removal tool to get rid of it completely. click here

User-1229748 14:26 23 Jan 2008

if you go to internet options in control panel press programs is internet explorer your default browser?if it is then the only other thing i can suggest is disabling all add-ons and if it works then enable the add-ons one by one to see which one is the problem.other than that i'm out of my league.

pejay1967 20:16 23 Jan 2008

it says to check my proxy settings they are wrong if this helps cheers guys

birdface 08:43 24 Jan 2008

Googled.click here= Did you run the Norton removal tool after you deleted Norton.If not this could be the cause of your problems.Can you use Firefox ok.Sorry but I don't know anything about routers.If using IE7 you could try.Tools.Internet options.Advanced.And press restore advanced settings.If that does not work.go back to advanced and press reset,You will loose any add-ons that you had,But that resets I/E back to its original state.Last thing would be to trey a system restore to a point before you had the problems.That is if you can go back that far.

laurie53 09:16 24 Jan 2008

This is a known problem (I have uninstalled IE7 because it's so flaky). Do a forum search - you may find a solution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?