Internet Explorer 7 auto-update - problems & fixes

Danoh 21:27 01 Nov 2006

Earlier today, my laptop’s IE 6 was automatically updated to IE 7 as a critical update as per my MS updates’ default settings.

I did not appreciate this involuntary update, mid-week, all that much…

Fortunately I have not yet encountered any real issue but in case others might, I’ve posted this as a mid-week warning.

I’ll be installing FireFox 2.0 as an alternative browser, just in case.

The one niggle I’ve had is an clash with Symantec’s Norton Anti-Spam component when I tried to select “free” add-ins only on the Security add-in options for IE 7.
IE 7 was unable to access the internet after that, which was only resolved by my restarting my laptop. I would assume that if I had disabled Norton Internet Security for the minimum 5 mins, shut down and executed IE 7 after 5 mins, it would achieve the same thing. However, mid-week, a complete restart was faster.

Should I find any other issues, I’ll post it here as well as any workarounds. In case it might prove useful to someone else caught on the hop as I have been, with no time to get a browser going again!!

I have found two other threads which relate to IE 7 issues recently and added links to them here, for convenience and speed.
click here
click here

I welcome others to re-use this post for their own IE 7 issues ~ I won’t regard it as a hijack :-)

anskyber 21:34 01 Nov 2006

Thats odd, it should not be out as an automatic update yet. In addition the download should have given you the option to reject it and not auto installed.

Chris Webster 21:40 01 Nov 2006

I've got my updates set to just inform me when they are available. My 'shield' informed me of new updates today. When I went to the update site it was for IE 7.

Cheers, Chris.

Danoh 21:43 01 Nov 2006

Unfortunately my default was set to auto-install critical updates ~ warning to others!

Danoh 21:50 01 Nov 2006

P/S 3 other computers have not been auto-updated ~ haven't checked their MS Updates settings yet.

Stuartli 21:54 01 Nov 2006

Some info here as well:

click here

Danoh 08:43 02 Nov 2006

Thanks Stuartli !! That is an excellent link.

I've noted 2 other new IE 7 threads, for my own and others reference;
click here
click here

P/S
Wish the forum search function lists in order of most recent, first.

Danoh 08:50 02 Nov 2006

In walking back over IE 7 update, there should have been Windows validation which would have required user action by clicking on the "Ok" button.
Don't know why my laptop auto-updated without my doing that!
Will tick this as resolved for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?