internet explorer 7

highside 16:17 28 Nov 2006

I give up with V7, MY PC is up to date except Windows update keeps telling me to install Int Ex 7. First attempt - the PC froze up completely and I had to reinstall windows. 2nd try very similar except I did manage to get the Add/ Remove programs menu and have uninstalled V7 completely.
The thing seems to instal OK but when I click to open explorer only part of it appears and the computer freezes.Also during restsrt procedure a Smartbridge alert appears. Nothing to do with BT as I am with NTL ?
Any thoughts please ?
(Having removed V7, V6 game back alright)

anskyber 16:19 28 Nov 2006

On the Smartbridge issue.BT and some NTL or Blueyonder broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL or IST for Blueyonder) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

anskyber 16:21 28 Nov 2006

On the bigger issue, do you have any add ons like extra toolbars? (eg Google toolbar)

highside 17:24 28 Nov 2006

Thanks for replies, yes I have a yahoo toolbar not sure how I got it, dont use it I use google but have not downloaded any of its extras.

anskyber 17:30 28 Nov 2006

The best and recommended way to install IE7 is to disable or uninstall ad ons like toolbars because many are out of date. Usually going to the sites you like and getting the latest IE7 compliant versions works.

i would get rid of them and add back once you know IE7 is working OK. i am a fan of IE7 and it has been good for me, others have had different experiences.

The other key point is to disable your anti virus etc on install, thats install not download.

Mr Beeline 17:50 28 Nov 2006

The Google one tends to update itself automatically (unless you've disabled that function), so that one should be fine (well it was for me). In my case, if IE7 had a spell checker for embedded text (like the Google toolbar) then I would uninstall Google toolbar myself.

I'm also not convinced these days of the necessity to disable things like AV. I download and install loads of things every week and never bother to shut down AV, Defender, or Zonealarm and can't remember the last time I ever had a problem.

highside

You say "First attempt - the PC froze up completely and I had to reinstall windows".

Pretty drastic to have to do that! Could you not start in safe-mode and do a restore? (NB. always best to create a restore point before installing anything like this)

PS. IE7 is certainly a step in the right direction.

highside 18:26 28 Nov 2006

Interesting point about restore, when I had the problem system restore would not restore to any point, it went through its routine OK but always reported "cannot restore to this point" no matter how many times I tried, hence the reinstal.

Mr Beeline 14:38 30 Nov 2006

highside

Interesting to hear your comment about "system restore". So it does sound like something was well Donald Ducked in Windows... Maybe worth considering other things for the future. A product like Acronis TrueImage allows you to set up a bootable floppy / CD to allow repair / recovery in extreme circumstances. It's certainly saved my bacon a couple of times.

I would have also tried windows System File Checker (I'm assuming you didn't this time). See click here for an explanation. To my mind, it's always worth trying this in case an install (especially for a Windows related product like IE7) has knackered some important Windows system file.

Hope your system is OK now.

highside 14:58 07 Jan 2007

My problems now cleared thanks in the main to the link provided by anskyber to the microsoft fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?