Internet Explorer

carver 22:03 31 Aug 2008

Sorry if this has been done before but it is now starting to bug me.

For the past couple of weeks now and again I will be in the middle of something and Explorer shuts down.

The message I get is,

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

I haven't put any new software on for weeks apart from Microsoft updates.

I've got Windows XP Pro running and Norton 360, but that has been on for months, any body got an idea whats wrong.

MAT ALAN 22:08 31 Aug 2008

click here

try this
or

click here

end your misery forever...

carver 23:01 31 Aug 2008

Thanks for the links, one question just how safe is Firefox and how good is it.

DieSse 01:03 01 Sep 2008

"...one question just how safe is Firefox and how good is it."

That's two questions!! Never mind.

It's good enough for millions of people to use in preference to IE, even though IE is installed on every Windows system. If there was no web browser in Windows, and a free choice of IE, FF, Opera, or any other browser to download - my bet is that IE would be in second place at most.

The nicest things to me are

the better laid out controls (FF is more like IE6 than IE7 is - makes it more familiar when upgrading)

no ActiveX - so no ActiveX vulnerabilities

lots of nice add-ons to do all sorts of useful things

speed - it's speedier, and when the next update, version 3.1 comes out, there'll be another speed increase.

Firefox is now generally reckoned to be ahead of the game, with IE playing catchup.

And I trust Mozilla more than I trust Microsoft.

MAT ALAN 18:31 01 Sep 2008

And I trust Mozilla more than I trust Microsoft!!!

Bold statement from DieSse and one i can fully agree with, Beauty of it is if you do not like it you can uninstall it.
Give it a fair go you will be pleasantly surprised and probably wonder why you didn't do it eons ago...

carver 00:58 03 Sep 2008

Well I have downloaded Fire-fox and I am giving it a try, only problem is I can't seem to find where all my bookmarked pages are.

Will give a go but up to now haven't had that infuriating box up telling me
Internet Explorer has encountered a problem

Bogbrain 09:12 03 Sep 2008

I 'went over' to Firefox from internet explorer (7)
and have never looked back. In fact from there I went on to use Linux instead of windows and will never go back to windows or microsoft for anything.
It's faster - safer- more secure ( viruses are practically unheard of) Firefox is far more intuitive and versatile,as is Linux itself, than internet explorer and windows. Plus the beauty of Linux is that you can suck it and see on a 'live cd' without it interfering with windows (which is what I did initially) I then went on to install a complete version of Linux (Mandriva) and realised it's something I wish I'd done years ago. Also Linux is completely free. I'd recomend anyone to at least give firefox a try if not Linux itself.

chub_tor 09:40 03 Sep 2008

Just in case you haven't found it yet you can get your IE bookmarks imported into Firefox by going to File, Import.

rawprawn 09:48 03 Sep 2008

Try Internet Explorer 8 beta, I have downloaded it and I'm quite impressed.
click here

carver 10:12 03 Sep 2008

Done that, but still can't find them.

I may just be acting thick but in fire fox when I visit a site and go into several of it's pages I don't appear to have a back button and I finish up having to go to the search at the top of the page on the right hand side.

I've only used it for a short time so hope fully it will get better.

oldbeefer2 10:23 03 Sep 2008

you will see an increasing number of tabs above the main page - just click the red button of the most right hand one to close down the top page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?