Internet Explorer

BladeII 15:01 11 Oct 2007

I have two browsers on my pc: Firefox and Internet Explorer. For some reason IE has stopped working. I still get internet access via Firefox, but IE has given up on me.

This means my Windows Messenger won't work. I also just downloaded a game, and I have to register to use it, but it tries to connect to the internet via IE.

I have a theory and that is that IE is trying to connect to the web via a dial-up connection, but I have broadband - which Firefox is using. How do I make IE use the broadband connection?

driver19 15:44 11 Oct 2007

Hi, I do not know the answer !!
I am having a simular problem, IE7 will not connect to the net, I use AOL9, but some sites such as Google maps and Earth, use IE7 ,
I would be interest if any one comes up with a solution to yours (and may be my) problem.
It is not a Firewall related thing (IE7is a permitted site), I am now scatching my hair out, (not much left though, hair that is)
Michael

Cuddles 15:48 11 Oct 2007

Have you set internet explorer as default? and have you deleted the dial up connection?

BladeII 17:35 11 Oct 2007

cuddles... could you run me through that. How do I set IE to default, and delete the dial up?

johnnyrocker 17:39 11 Oct 2007

go to control panel/network connections and delete dial up or go to tools/internet options/connections put a dot/tick in never dial a connection

johnny.

BladeII 18:07 11 Oct 2007

johnnyrocker... just tried that and no luck.

johnnyrocker 18:11 11 Oct 2007

then it would not appear to be a dial up issue

johnny.

johnnyrocker 18:13 11 Oct 2007

do you still have a network connection in IE?

johnny

mfletch 18:17 11 Oct 2007

Hi Have you thought you may have a Virus/Trojan?

Have you done any scans,

Try SAS Superantispyware FREE click here

Also have you tried reinstalling IE7 {XP}

click here

mfletch

birdface 18:26 11 Oct 2007

Try.Internet Options.Advanced,Reset.Apply.Ok.Now you will lose all your add-ons etc but you can download them again.Worth a try if nothing else works.

mfletch 18:30 11 Oct 2007

You also could run this download WinSock XP Fix

click here

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017