Internet Explorer

babybell 16:50 13 Apr 2006

Internet Explorer has broken on my pc, so i have installed Firefox, but i still need IE for running windows update and the like. I have ran sfc /scannow and it mentioned some .dll files were missing but even tho i have a genuine windows cd in the drive it can't find the .dll files. I have removed IE and reinstalled it but that hasn't helped. I have even follwed details about going into the registry and finding the ie.inf file and clicking install, but nothing has helped. I now get the problem that every time windows starts, and internet explorer script problem pops up with the following error:

"Active X component can't create object: 'Scripting.Dictionary'
Url:mcp://C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\RegWizUI.dll::default.htm

This has meant that i am unable to get Mcafee updates.
I have download IE from the Microsoft website but when i run it, it says a newer version of IE exists on my pc and installation can't continue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SANTOS7 16:58 13 Apr 2006

click here=
this may help,good luck.....

terryf 17:03 13 Apr 2006

Try search forum for repair IE, I am prety sure (but then ones memory goes astray at 73) that VoG posted a clicky

VoG II 17:06 13 Apr 2006

I think babybell has tried everything in my click here.

A repair of Windows should work click here

babybell 20:46 15 Apr 2006

I tried the repair of windows XP but for some reason during the reinstallation, it kept asking me to insert the Windows XP CD when install certain .dll files, which i had to cancel past cuz for some reason it couldn't find them on the XP CD. I take it they are the same .dll files that sfc /scannow finds, and that also requests the CD even tho it's in there. Can anyone think why this would be?

VoG II 20:51 15 Apr 2006

Could you give examples of the names of a couple of these 'missing' .dll files please?

skidzy 20:57 15 Apr 2006

Babybell,you could try this click here
It has a section specifically for repairing internet explorer,you will need the trial registry optimiser version.
Its helped me out many times before,im not saying this will fix your problem..but may help you.
Good luck

flanagan 21:05 15 Apr 2006

I had a problem where activex had broken. I uninstalled IE6 with add/remove programs in control panel (there was an option to repair but I chose the roll back to previous version option) which reverted back to IE5.5 and activex was working again. I then installed IE6 again from the windows update site.
You could try that - worked for me!

babybell 21:18 15 Apr 2006

I have just ran sfc /scannow (first time since the reinstallation) and it didn't report any missing .dll files ironically! I have noticed that Windows Update has stopped working, i went through all the help guides on the Microsoft website but nothing has helped. Apparently the 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service' isn't working because of 'Error 1083'. I tried all the fixes but it didn't work?

JohnC123 09:13 16 Apr 2006

I had a similar problem with BITS which prevented me obtaining any updates. I repaired BITS and it now works OK see this:
click here

babybell 11:43 16 Apr 2006

That seems helpful but when i start to run the repair, it asks for the Windows XP CD which i have in the drive but it can't find the .dll files required (VOG, I believe these are the files that didn't get installed during the reinstallation, hence the problem i am having now) qmgr.dll is the first one, can't get passed it to see the rest!

Any ideas why the CD wouldn't be working?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?