Internet disconnects when network utilization is 100%

GreenRomance 19:26 08 Oct 2013

Hey,

My PC is completely disconnecting me from the internet seemingly randomly and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it.

All I have managed to find out is that it doesn't disconnect when I run my PC in safe mode with networking and that when it does disconnect, if I go into Windows Task Manager - Networking, the network utilization spikes to 99/100% and then I lose connection. I can't even find the wireless connection in the Network and Sharing Center after. It's just gone, and reappears a minute or so later but does not always (in fact, rarely) connects again straight away.

I don't know much about computers at all. But, I have tried the following:

• Disabling all start up programs except for "microsoft intellipoint", "AMD dual-core optimiser" and "catalyst control center".
  • doing a virus scan
  • turning off my antivirus
  • updating my network drivers
  • ensuring that the network drivers are not set to turn off to save power

I first noticed the problem when I did a JAVA update but after doing a system restore, I discovered that it was not that. The only other thing I can think of is that my PC randomly turned back on Windows Updates at 2am one morning and one of those was installed, but I can't restore back that far.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?