Internet disconnects when network utilization is 100%

GreenRomance 19:26 08 Oct 2013

Hey,

My PC is completely disconnecting me from the internet seemingly randomly and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it.

All I have managed to find out is that it doesn't disconnect when I run my PC in safe mode with networking and that when it does disconnect, if I go into Windows Task Manager - Networking, the network utilization spikes to 99/100% and then I lose connection. I can't even find the wireless connection in the Network and Sharing Center after. It's just gone, and reappears a minute or so later but does not always (in fact, rarely) connects again straight away.

I don't know much about computers at all. But, I have tried the following:

• Disabling all start up programs except for "microsoft intellipoint", "AMD dual-core optimiser" and "catalyst control center".
  • doing a virus scan
  • turning off my antivirus
  • updating my network drivers
  • ensuring that the network drivers are not set to turn off to save power

I first noticed the problem when I did a JAVA update but after doing a system restore, I discovered that it was not that. The only other thing I can think of is that my PC randomly turned back on Windows Updates at 2am one morning and one of those was installed, but I can't restore back that far.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017