INTERNET DISCONNECTION WHEN TYPING TEXT

Imber 13:15 09 May 2013

I have a Dell desktop running Vista. About six weeks ago we switched to Wi-Fi for internet connection. All seems to have gone smoothly but with one major strange exception. The new connection does not seem to drop with the exception of when I try to type text. For example, I typed as far as the word “switched” in this thread and the connection terminated. I’ve raised this with the ISP and router manufacturer but both insist that there is no link between typing text and a disconnection. However, after six weeks of this I know that the connection never seems to drop of its own accord but only when text is being prepared. The connection has been there all morning but dropped just now. A related issue is that in reconnecting I have to put in the key number every time yet when the PC is switched on in the morning the connection is made automatically.

difarn 09:22 10 May 2013

Not sure why this should happen when you are typing text. Have you tried...

control panel - network connections - right click on the wireless connection and choose properties.

click on the Configure button - under "Power Management"

If there is a tick in the box beside "Allow the computer to turn off this device" then untick it.

Which wifi channel are you using on your router? Recommended are 1, 6 and 11.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?