Internet disconnecting.

rufustanner_II 00:38 09 Feb 2007

I have a dial up broadband account (ADSL through Orange). For the last couple of days my internet keeps disconnecting after approx five minutes, when I try to reconnect it' says verifying user name and password then an error message appears which says:- Error 734:The PPP link control protocol was terminated.
Underneath is the option to redial and if I select this it does re-connect but it will disconnect again in 5-10 minutes.
Anyone any ideas?
Many Thanks.
Steve.

skidzy 00:44 09 Feb 2007
  rufustanner_II 20:42 12 Feb 2007

Further to my earlier posting about my internet disconnecting, I've noticed that the ADSL LED flashes as though its lost the connection. This lasts for about ten seconds. When I try to reconnect I either get the 'Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated' or it comes up saying there is no dial tone (I've checked the phone and the dial tone is present). Either way I can reconnect to the net after about ten seconds. I just wondered if there could be a problem with the phone line as there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the cables. The modem connects to the phone line through a filter and connects to the PC via USB, there is no hub/router used. Talk about annoying.
Cheers.
Steve.

Goonhavern Blue 21:46 12 Feb 2007

Steve,

Having same problem down here in Cornwall.

The first time I found take out the USB connection, and plug it into another USB slot.

Mine worked fine then.

However it's doing it again at odd times now, and I am finding the telephone line is very noisey "crackling".

After all the gales and flooding down here, maybe this have affected the telephony.

Certainly try pluging in a new usb slot and if it's going to work to will see green lights stay on.

Derek

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires