Internet dial-up number changes

sal73 14:57 07 Dec 2004

Hi,
Can someone please help me, everytime I want to connect to the internet my dial up number changes to an international number and my username also is replaced with different one. How can I stop this occurring, I don't want to run up a massive phone bill by forgetting to change the altered settings. Thanks.

Technotiger 15:23 07 Dec 2004

Hi, It very much looks as if someone has hi-jacked your pc. Get on to bt or whoever your phone supplier is and get the numbers blocked. I would say URGENT

Technotiger 15:26 07 Dec 2004

Also go into Tools>InternetOptions>Connections click on Never Dial a Connection.

vitrocmax 15:30 07 Dec 2004

I won't give a moral judgement on the type of sites that install these type of diallers,(!) but in your 'Tools / Internet Options' there is a 'Connections' tab. If you click on it you will have your dial-up connection listed. If you click on it to select it and then 'settings' you should see the settings, including the dialled number, that need to be changed.

It's slightly different in different versions of IE but the idea is the same.

Hope this helps. (It worked for me!)

bretsky 15:39 07 Dec 2004

You need to run these click here

bretsky ;0)

buscrew 15:44 07 Dec 2004

As a "Belt and Braces" safety measure I would disconnect the modem from the telephone socket until you have this sorted, as these dialers can stay connected to the "wrong" phone number even after you disconnect from the Internet.

sal73 16:02 07 Dec 2004

isn't there anyway I can remove this number from my computer. BTW thanks for everyone who responded.

woodchip 16:11 07 Dec 2004

You have not even said what your operating system is

sal73 16:17 07 Dec 2004

sorry its windows 98

woodchip 22:46 07 Dec 2004

In windows shut down to DOS, then type SCANREG/RESTORE and put the oldest date back there will be about 5 dates reinstall the oldest date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?