Internet Connectivity problem

Bruk 15:23 12 Aug 2008

Hoping someone can help.
I have a netgear DG834G router which I have connected by ethernet cable to my desktop PC running WINXPSP2 pro and also have a wireless connection from my laptop running windows vista home basic and have had no problems with it.
I recently tried to add a wireless connection to another computer but this was unreliable. I tried a few things to resolve this but the upshot is I have now lost all connections!! I did upgrade the router from version 4.01.20 to 4.01.37 and have discovered that I can't find the old version on the netgear website so I can't revert back to it.
I eventually did a hard reset on the router but when I try to use the smart wizard to re establish my connection it says connection failed.
Negotiation = LCP is down
Authentication = CHAPS authentication failed.
I have checked I have entered the correct user name and password.
When I look at the network connections on the desktop I see one for Internet gateway and one for Local Area Connection. When I click on the properties of the gateway it says the internet connection is supplied from a shared computer and I am unable to change this. The ipconfig/all seems to look ok for the router connection.
The laptop also has 2 network connections - a local area connection and a wireless connection. I am able to connect to the router using the wireless connection (local only).
I tried disabling both connections and shut down laptop and then rebooted the desktop PC but this has not changed anything.
It seems to suggest that it cannot connect due to a shared internet connection but I can't seem to find how to get rid of this or I could be barking up the wrong tree?
Can anyone help?

recap 19:41 12 Aug 2008

Have you checked the firewall setting haven't changed when you upgraded the Router?

Bruk 21:53 12 Aug 2008

Thabks for the reply.
would this be the firewall settings on the router or the computers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017