Internet Connection (which one)

Mabinogion 23:17 15 Dec 2006

Hi
I connected my laptop wirelessly to my Orange Live Box a few months ago and am on B/Band and everything is ok, but I have just received my new Desktop and phoned the Orange helpline and she told me to just connect the Desktop with the Ethernet cable with the red end to the pc and the other 'red' end to the Orange Live Box and that's all I would have to do, so I did this and the Internet was connected straight away, but when I look at the icons on the Control Panel in 'Internet Connections' I have two and if I tick the boxes for them to appear in the task bar (icon tray) and I put my cursor on the one it says 'Network Connection' speed 2.2 Mbps status:connected and the other one says 'Local Area Connection speed 100.0 Mbps status connected. So why do I have two? in the Control Panel the top one Internet Gateway Internet Connection Connected Lan or High-Speed Internet then underneath the other one is and icon with two pc connected to each other which says Local Area Connection Connected, Firewalled Realtek RTL8139/810xFamily Fast Ethernet NIC. So is this supposed to be like this? as I say I have the laptop connected wirelessly and then the desktop which I have just connected and am on Orange B/Band which I paid an extra £20 one off payment for the 2 Mbps which shows on the one icon but the other is only 100.0Mbps so could you try and explain to me please if I have done this right.
Thanks and sorry for the long winded message.

anskyber 23:26 15 Dec 2006

It's fine. In simple terms the 2.2 is the internet connection for your desktop. The other is the standard connection speed for a networked device.

In this case your laptop which the router (your Live Box) is telling you about is the networked device. So it's two different bits of info rather than two connections as you may fear. One is primary and the other is the secondary network connection.

It looks to me as if all is working perfectly.

Mabinogion 23:44 15 Dec 2006

Just like to say thanks you have explained to me exactly what I wanted to know. My first problem solved.
Great site !!!

terryf 23:52 15 Dec 2006

Please click on resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?