internet connection & vpn

robert01 19:30 14 Aug 2010

I have a basic talktalk broadband connection with a wireless ( belkin ) modem plugged in straight to my pc and a wireless laptop downstairs.

Some days the pc internet connection is perfect, fast and stable but most of the time I cannot connect without first activating my work vpn connection which is set up on the pc.

The laptop is worse, again sometimes it will be fine - just turn on the modem and we are connected no problem but most days it will not connect for hours - even if I have at the same time got a connection going on the pc.

I am at a loss - why is it sometimes ok and when it isn't how does the vpn help me to 'punch through' and get connected ?

How can it be a modem problem or the internet settings when the problem is not occurring constantly ?

I expect it is talktalk / bt issue due to the usual infrastructure and over capicity issues in the uk.

Before I give up on talktalk and bt and go for the expense and hassle of virgin fibre optic or similar I would really welcome any help or suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone