Internet Connection Times Out

sharpe 15:56 02 Apr 2010

Anyone help
If my wife leaves her computer on and doesn't use it for 15 minutes or so, the internet connection on it seems to time out and she has to restart the computer to get back online. It connects without a problem so it appears it may be in some sort of energy saving mode

The Computer is a compaq, using Vista and it has a Belkin N+ Router connected. The other computers on the network are fine so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the router it is only happening on the one that is connected by ethernet cable to the router. A setting may have changed but I am not sure what!!!.

Can anyone help, please keep it simple, I'm a "silver (headed) surfer, therefore slow of foot as well as mind.

rdave13 20:48 02 Apr 2010

Try this; start-- search box and type device. In the list that shows click on device manager.
In device manager look for network adapters and click to expand. Right click your adapter and select properties. Under the power management tab make sure the box for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is unticked.

sharpe 21:20 02 Apr 2010

Have done as you've said. Need a bit of time to see if it works. Will get back with the results.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards, sharpe

rdave13 23:37 02 Apr 2010

If you have needed to untick the box then it should be ok.

sharpe 20:08 05 Apr 2010

sorry r dave it did not seem to work, when I did as you said it still timed out. A friend has stopped the comp from going to sleep and it stays connected to the internet. (but the problem is till there if it is allowed to sleep).

Anyway will leave as is now and hope it will be ok.Thanks for youe help rdave it was much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017