Internet Connection TC/IP help

TrevNI 18:25 22 Oct 2005

I have a PC and Laptop both running XP connected by cable/sockets via a router to the Internet on broadband.
Last week as I was going away for a week I turned off my PC which is normally left on. When I returned and turned it on it appeared to function OK but would not connect to the iunternet nor allow me to read emails. If I plugged my laptop into the socket in another part of the house or direct into the back of the router I was able to connect to the internet and read emails OK.
I have tried changing the ethernet cables from laptop to PC round in case one was faulty and also tried the REPAIR software option but no luck. Have tried looking at the various settings on my laptop comparing these with the PC. One major difference I find is
On laptop the Internet Protocol for TCP/Ip properties is set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically but on PC it was set with fixed settings. I altered this so it would obtain these automatically and rebooted PC but still no internet connection.
If I right click the two computers on my taskbar on the PC and then click on Status it says I am connected at 100.Mbs and 221 packets sent and 0 received.

Can you please help ?

Thank you.

Trevor

VoG II 18:28 22 Oct 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?