Internet Connection Sharing and Windows XP - query

Happy37 20:10 06 Apr 2008

Hi all

I have been using ICS for a long while now in my existing network. I have also NOT made any major changes at all to my setup apart from changing/swapping my Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem for a new one.

However, here is my query: -

Internet access always works fine on my Host PC, however I have noticed that it is intermittent on my Client/2nd PC?

For example, I was on the Internet on my 1st PC - I wanted to go onto my 2nd one to download something off the Net, and what message do I get?

"The page cannot be displayed"

Why is this and what causes this to happen?

I have got my firewall(s) set up to allow ICS and the WMI service is also running on both computers on the network?

The Internet is available on my 1st PC as I am connected to the Net on that PC; so why is it not available on the 2nd one?

I tried to use the Windows XP Netdiag utility to see if it gave any clue as to what is going on, yet I can only use it if I am using an Ethernet modem, and the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem is not Ethernet.

I am now thinking of actually getting a router - would this solve this ICS problem or not, and can sanyone suggest anything else that I can try to resolve this?

How about this router:-

click here

Is there anything that I have not tried that I have not mentioned here?

Please advise – all responses gratefully received.

Regards

happy37

DieSse 20:16 06 Apr 2008

A router is a better solution

It has independant connections to each computer

ICS is not required at all

Ethernet is to be preferred to USB in overall terms

Each computer can connect to the internet without the other one even being switched on.

The computers can talk to each other, if needs be - exchange files, use each others printers, for instance.

The link you gave does not link to a product - just to a page that wants my name and address.

Happy37 20:16 06 Apr 2008

Hi all

Apologies for wrong link given above - please try this one instead:-

click here

Happy37 20:17 06 Apr 2008

DieSse

Hi all

Apologies for wrong link given above - please try this one instead:-

click here

Happy37 20:18 06 Apr 2008

DieSse

How would I set up file and printer sharing on the router?

Is it done automaticlly in the initial setup?

Happy37 21:00 06 Apr 2008

Anyone care to share their thoughts, please?

DieSse 22:14 06 Apr 2008

"How would I set up file and printer sharing on the router?"

It's done in the attached PCs - the router just connects the computers together (and to the internet).

Router - yes that's fine - they're all pretty similar actually.

You need an ethernet port or a wireless link in each system, of course.

DieSse 22:15 06 Apr 2008

"How would I set up file and printer sharing on the router?"

It's done in the attached PCs - the router just connects the computers together (and to the internet).

Router - yes that's fine - they're all pretty similar actually.

You need an Ethernet port or a wireless link in each system, of course.

Happy37 08:03 07 Apr 2008

DieSse

Thanks for your reply - I am not looking to use the wireless facility at the moment...I am more interested in getting my 2 PCs talking to and seeing each other in a network as well as getting both of them on the Net.

Will a router solve the issue of intermittent Net access on my second PC as I am getting at the moment?

I ask this as the network as it is at present is working fine and I can share files and printers. The 1st/host PC connects to the Net just fine, yet I can only see some Net pages on the 2nd/client PC and not others...hence this question?

The ping command works fine and as far as I can see, there is no problem as far as File and Print Sharing in XP goes.

Please reply and let me know - your reply will be much appreciated.

Regards

Happy37 11:33 08 Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply - I am not looking to use the wireless facility at the moment...I am more interested in getting my 2 PCs talking to and seeing each other in a network as well as getting both of them on the Net.

Will a router solve the issue of intermittent Net access on my second PC as I am getting at the moment?

I ask this as the network as it is at present is working fine and I can share files and printers. The 1st/host PC connects to the Net just fine, yet I can only see some Net pages on the 2nd/client PC and not others...hence this question?

The ping command works fine and as far as I can see, there is no problem as far as File and Print Sharing in XP goes.

Also - as I will only be using the network for occasional surfing and downloading of emails, is it okay to switch the whole network and the router off once I finish, or do I absolutely have to leave the router switched on all the time?

What effect will there be if the router is switched on and off regularly?

Please can somone reply and let me know - your reply will be much appreciated.

Happy37 12:01 08 Apr 2008

Anyone please help???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?