Internet Connection Sharing with Windows XP

Happy37 12:09 01 Oct 2006

Hi All

I have recently just gone online with a 1mb fixed broadband Internet connection with Virgin.net.

Whilst the Internet access is working fine on my host PC, I am having problems accessing the Internet on my second client PC.

This is how the problem arose:-

My copy of Norton Internet Security expired so I removed all of it from both my PCs' using a copy of the Norton Removal Tool which I found via Symantec's site.

Then, I installed a copy of ZoneAlarm and AVG Anti-Virus on both PCs.

Like I said, the Internet works fine on my host PC, yet I cannot get Internet access on my second PC via ICS - Internet Connection Sharing.

Although there is an icon for the shared Internet connection in the Network Connections properties on the second PC, I cannot connect.

It goes as far as “opening.....”, and then it comes up as “The page cannot be displayed”

I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Does anyone please have any ideas how to make this work?

Is it a firewall setting that I need to change or adjust?

Please advise accordingly - I am getting a bit desperate with this at present.

BTW, ICS used to work perfectly okay when I was using Norton Internet Security previously.

Otherwise, my LAN works fine and I can see and access all files on both PCs okay.

I look forward to all responses.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Happy37

bluesbrother 12:14 01 Oct 2006

It could be Zonealarm.
Internet zone security needs to be set to medium.

Happy37 12:31 01 Oct 2006

Hi bluesbrother

Thanks for your reply.

This has actually worked, yet I can now access the Internet on my second PC.

How can I still remain invisible on the Internet without having to resort to changing the Internet Zone Security to medium?

Is there another way around tis issue?

Please let me know.

Thanks

bluesbrother 12:42 01 Oct 2006

Not that I know of.
Though I'm sure someone in here knows diffrently.

Happy37 12:47 01 Oct 2006

Thanks again for letting me know - let's hope that someone in here does know differently.

I still want to carry on sharing the Internet connection, yet having to change the security level to Medium leaves me a bit doubtful about my security level on the Internet itself.

Please can anyone else help me otherwise with this???

brundle 12:49 01 Oct 2006
  anskyber 12:56 01 Oct 2006

Its as brundle has suggested though his link. I have the Internet Zone set at max but the Trusted Zone at medium and all works well.

Happy37 14:55 01 Oct 2006

Hi all

Many thanks again for all your replies.

anskyber - I don't quite see your point, though.

Are you using ICS as per the above?

If yes, then ICS does not work with the security settings for the Internet zone set at High.

The Trusted zone can be left as Medium.

BTW, does anyone know if the Comodo firewall fully support ICS instead?

Thanks.

Happy37 10:08 02 Oct 2006

Hi all

Can anyone please reply and let me know the answer to my last question as per my last post?

ICS does not work with the security settings for the Internet zone set at High, yet the Trusted zone can be left as Medium.

I really need to know if the Comodo firewall fully supports ICS instead so that I can switch to that instead of sticking with ZoneAlarm which doesn't?

Thanks

TonyM 10:36 02 Oct 2006

As fully explained int he link posted by brundle the free version of Zone Alarm doesn't support ICS - the "paid for" version does. So to carry on using the free version you will need to have the settings as has been mentioned. Don't know about Comodo though.

Happy37 15:27 05 Oct 2006

Hi all

Just popping back to let you know that Comodo Firewall FULLY supports ICS and is free.

Have now switched to it and all is well.

Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?