Internet Connection Sharing Unavailable

golgo14 04:18 25 Sep 2007

Hi,
I have Windows XP and am trying to set my wireless internet connection to Sharing. I have right clicked on My Network Places, gone to Properties, then right clicked on the Internet Connection I'm using and gone to Properties. Then the 3 available tabs read from left to right, General, Wireless Networks, and finally Advanced. I go to the Advanced tab and the only option that reads are the Settings for Windows Firewall. I believe this is the Window that Internet Connection Sharing should appear but it's not there. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, I've read that in the General tab to make sure Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should both be checked. They are - I've tried reading up on this everywhere but can't find a solution for this particular problem, help is graciously appreciated!

ambra4 04:26 25 Sep 2007

Go to this posting

click here

golgo14 04:49 25 Sep 2007

Thanks much. But I just want to clarify, in the Network Connections there appear two different connections. 1) Local Area Connection, which is listed as Network Cable Unplugged but I have made Shared. 2)Wireless Network Connection, which Is connected but is not listed as Shared.

I realize only 1 connection can be listed as Shared at a given time. I'm trying to hookup to xbox live through my Wireless Connection, so shouldn't that network be shared or is it the LAN that should be Shared even though its listed as disconnected? Thanks again!

mgmcc 08:59 25 Sep 2007

First of all, if you are connecting to the internet through a wireless router, all "computers" in the network connect directly to the router and get their internet access from it. You *DON'T* run Internet Connection Sharing in any computer.

Just for information, if you are running ICS, you must have *TWO* network adapters - one that is the actual Internet Connection on which ICS is enabled and a second through which the "client" device sharing the connection accesses the "host" PC. Either adapter can be "wired" or "wireless".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?