Internet Connection Settings keep changing...

daba 10:29 29 Dec 2004

... back to 'Never Dial a Connection'.

Windows 98SE
512MB RAM
IE6
OE6
SPF
AVG7
AdSubtract PRO
SpySubtract (on trial)
Tiscali Broadband (set as default).

I regularly get a "Cannot find Server" error when starting IE, and have to go to Tools->Options->Connections to reset the options to "Dial my default connection".

This is not happening every time, but random and frequent enough to be a nuisance.

I have run and cleaned with AdAware and SpyBot but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any ideas.....

Fellsider 10:41 29 Dec 2004

I know this may be obvious but.....

When you change the setting back to "Dial my default connection" you do click on 'Apply' before 'OK' otherwise it may reset when you log off.

daba 10:53 29 Dec 2004

Yes I do 'Apply' the change.

And I have tried shutdown and restart Windows to ensure the setting is properly registered, and all seems well for a while, but it won't stay thay way.

I've had the problem for ages now, and although I know how to correct it, I'm not the only one who uses the PC - so it needs to get sorted.

daba 02:03 30 Dec 2004

^^ bump ^^

ACOLYTE 03:00 30 Dec 2004

Have you tried setting it to dial whenever a network connection is not present,if your Tiscali BB is set to default and it says Default next to it, then this setting should dial the same way when you try to go online,if you are not already connected.

daba 10:35 30 Dec 2004

It doesn't matter which setting I choose, it regularly resets itself to "Never Dial A Connection".

Like this morning after starting up, and successfully connecting to check e-mail with OE, then closing OE and leaving the connection open, then I logged on to this site, I've just checked the connection settings and it says "Never Dial A Connection" !

So how did it connect in the first place - weird.

Stuartli 11:17 30 Dec 2004

I guessed this was Tiscali just from the thread title.

Have you, at any time, installed T-Connect or similar Tiscali utility that automatically updates connection number settings (and perhaps other configuration) at the behest of Tiscali?

If so that could be the problem.

Confab 13:28 30 Dec 2004

You could also try an IE repair click here

daba 22:45 30 Dec 2004

No never, Stuartli.

I am on Tiscali Broadband, so there is no number to 'dial-up'. I moved to Tiscali B/B directly from LineOne 56K modem dial-up, the only connection made via 56K modem was Tiscali's "signup" number. Since then, the modem has been removed from the PC (easiest way I found to stop premium-rate diallers and the like).

I'll give the old IE repair a try, although I'm certain this has been done a while ago, and it didn't cure the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?