Internet Connection Problems

Mr "B" 17:16 11 Mar 2011

I set up my new internet connection today and the package i chose didn't come with a router so i am using my existing one. The problem i am having is that the router is thomson speed touch st510 and the default settings have a different password and username to the new account and it tells me to change the settings to allow for the new password - but i can't get into the settings of the router to change this so therefore have no internet connection. I am totally stuck on what to do - i have the internet connection there but can't connect to it. Can anyone please help me with how to get into the router settings and change them.

961 18:54 11 Mar 2011

You should be able to change your router settings via your web browser using web address
click here
(You don't need internet access to do this)

The user manual for your router is available for download here:-
click here

woodchip 19:14 11 Mar 2011

The Address is as above but includes http:// before 10.0.0.138 this should be typed into your Browser address bar at the top then press enter key

Mr "B" 13:29 13 Mar 2011

Good work - thanks for that its all sorted. My next problem is how can i use an exisiting e mail address on a new internet provider - the computer system is XP and using outlook express - my internet provider now is BT and it was virgin and i want to keep my business e mail address. Any advise welcome. Thank you.

palinka 14:28 13 Mar 2011

AS I have always undrstood it, you can't use an address from one ISP with a diferent ISP ( that's partly why I use domain name, to make changes of ISP easier.) But I've recently moved to Bt and it looks as though there is a way of receiving mail from a different address as well as mail coming to your new bt address. That's how I read it, anyway; you could try it - log in to your bt account and click Options (top right corner); then "more options"; then click "Accounts" and finally click "Add Account" & take it from there.

Batch 19:03 14 Mar 2011

It's usually perfectly feasible to send and receive emails using an email address from a different ISP (I currently have a variety of old email addresses from various old ISP accessed using my current ISP's broadband. It's just a matter of setting things up correctly.

Mr "B" has in fact started another thread on this matter and you might be interested to see that:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone