Internet connection problems

wotan 19:15 08 Aug 2006

Hi, back again. As some of you will know, I have had problems connecting to the internet via a wireless link, since I un-installed Norton Systemworks. I have re-loaded XP from the disc and can now get a connection between my Router and my laptop. However I keep getting the message 'I.E. could not open search page'.
I have now got the following message;
Downloading from site;
res://C:WINDOWS\System32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm
Any ideas? Cos I am completely lost.

FelixTCat 19:45 08 Aug 2006

wotan,

You may have a connection to the router, but are you sure that you have a connection to the internet?

Regards,

Felix

wotan 20:30 08 Aug 2006

All my settings match those on my desktop, I am connecting alright with that, but I cant get the laptop to open I.E. and I have had a message asking me if I want to open my firewall/ICS, when I reply 'yes', I get one back telling me it cannot be opened and to contact administrator for network

FelixTCat 21:58 08 Aug 2006

wotan,

Are you logged on with administrator rights, or as a user?

Felix

wotan 08:58 10 Aug 2006

Sorry for the delay in answering, I am logged on as user. I can get aconnection to the network but the network will not let me connect to I.E. I have checked Internet connection settings and they appear to be o.k. I have had message to 'Turn on' Internet Connection System, but can find no reference to this in Help pages, if this is the problem then finding out how to do this may solve it.
Wotan.

FelixTCat 09:56 10 Aug 2006

wotan,

I am a bit confused about "the network will not let me connect to I.E". Do you mean that you still get the error you reported before: Downloading from site;
res://C:WINDOWS\System32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm

Can you confirm what your setup is? Do you have a USB modem and then a router connected to your desktop pc which communicates wirelessly with the laptop?

Regards,

Felix

wotan 10:49 10 Aug 2006

In Order;
1/ Yes I am still getting this message. Also each time I enter URL I get message I.E. cannot open page. I notice the light on my router which normally flashes when I connect to the net does not flash it just remains lit.
2/ I use a 3 Coms wireless modem/router connected to my desktop by ethernet cable and usually connecting to my laptop by wireless card. the device manager shows card working and Wireless Connections shows a live connection to 3coms but they do not appear to talking to each other. Again this only applies to the laptop, which I have tried connecting to the router by ethernet cable, but with same results.

FelixTCat 11:36 10 Aug 2006

wotan,

It looks as though you have either set up wireless security on the connection incorrectly or, because you can't connect by ethernet cable either, that your firewall is blocking the connection.

Please disable any and all firewalls you have installed and try again.

Regards,

Felix

wotan 12:11 10 Aug 2006

Will give that a try, will have to wait until I am back home but will post back to let you know how it goes. Thanks for the time and advice.

wotan 20:54 10 Aug 2006

Success at last, back in business, to Felix and the other Forum members, many, many thanks for your patience, time and knowledge.
I checked the router settings and found them o.k. then tried with the router firewall off and lo and behold, we had lift off. THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS, and thanks to P.C.Advisor for hosting this forum.
Wotan.

FelixTCat 23:01 10 Aug 2006

wotan,

Glad it all worked out. Good luck to you.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?