Internet connection problem on Orange and BT line

MS35 20:08 31 May 2008

A relatives computer is connected to Orange 2mb service on a BT line and over the last couple of months will only load a few websites, others hang and never load.

A spare PC also reacts the same way on their line.

When the PC (same PC, modem, cable and ADSL filter)is connected to my home BT line through orange 8mb everything works fine.

BT say all is OK, orange said they would refer it to "technical" and let me know if there was a problem, heard nothing since and still the same.

Email is fine and the connection shows it is sending and receiving

Problems both in IE and firefox which react the same.

Very weird.

O/S is Win 2k prof. Speedtouch modem, AVG and Comodo firewall installed but reacts the same with both switched off. AMD Sempron 2800, 256mb RAM. Never had any problems until this started.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts before I call BT and Orange back, and are there any tests that I can run (without needing to load pages in a browser)that could help pinpoint the problem.

I'm not great in Dos but I have done a ping test and this returns "packets" ok.

Thanks.

MS35 18:50 02 Jun 2008

- any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:36 02 Jun 2008

filters on all other equipment?

additional phones on system / DEC?

direct in master socket or on extension?

ringer cable 3 connected on extension?

laurie53 20:40 02 Jun 2008

Similar problem turned out to be faulty extension cable from phone socket to Livebox.

Worth a try maybe.

joebloggs1 21:07 02 Jun 2008

I had a problem with Orange and BT that sounds similar - look at this thread for problem and solution to my issue
click here
Hope it helps

MS35 22:29 29 Jun 2008

Finally, after numerous phone calls with orange, they got this sorted and changing MTU to 1492 solved the problem.

At last! Now just to get compensation for the lost access, time spent and all those phone calls!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?