Internet connection problem - ongoing

guesswho2 12:29 06 Sep 2009

Update of my situation.
I am now accessing the forum with a different computer because my own one will now not connect. The fact that this different computer connects easily using my existing router and cabling must indicate no problem associated with those things. So, is it reasonable to assume that the network card in my own computer has failed?
Could someone please get back with advice!
Many thanks.

birdface 12:38 06 Sep 2009

Maybe a driver update required.
In device manager under Network Adapters you should have a program for your wireless connection as well as one for normal connection.
If no wireless connection there it is probably a driver update that you need.

guesswho2 12:38 06 Sep 2009

I should, of course, have put here the background - see my post of yesterday which referred to:
the IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the network card with with network address 00064F791BD3 has been denied by the DHCP Server 192.168.1.1.
So does this mean that my network card has failed?

guesswho2 12:43 06 Sep 2009

Hi buteman, it's a wired connection to the Huawei router HG520b. Obviously on MY computer I won't be able to get a driver update because I simply can't get on the internet now. Would it be worth while just reinstalling the card?
Do you agree that the card must be the problem?

birdface 14:06 06 Sep 2009

Sorry not sure on that. I was just going on experiences I had with my Grand Daughters computer but that was not a wired connection .

guesswho2 14:26 06 Sep 2009

OK, thanks anyhow buteman.

Ashrich 15:03 06 Sep 2009

Try accessing the router to see if MAC address filtering is turned on , if it is , turn it off as it sounds like the MAC is being refused .

As the router is wireless I assume there is some kind of security set on it to stop others cloning your PC's MAC .

Go in to device manager and uninstall the Network card and then reboot and let Windows ( whatever flavour you are running )find it again , you also could find a more up to date driver for it on the PC you are using and transfer it ( memory stick etc. ) .

Ashley

guesswho2 15:28 06 Sep 2009

Hi Ashrich, it's wired router. Don't know anything about MAC address filtering - would that apply to a wired router?
I'm not able to have both computers running at the same time, so later tonight I'll have a go at uninstalling the network card and see how it goes.
Thanks for getting back to me.

guesswho2 17:22 06 Sep 2009

Hello again Ashrich.
On your suggestion, uninstalled the network card driver and rebooted and that seems to have sorted it! No warnings in Event Viewer for the first time in weeks!
You're a genius, many many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone