Internet connection problem

BLUELEN 16:05 06 Mar 2011

My internet connection is through my desktop pc by a wired connection. I also use my laptop to connect by wireless. Today I can connect to the internet through my laptop but the desktop cannot find the server. Have tried thru the tools menu to automatically find the lan settings but still cant connect.Grateful for any advice thanks

rawprawn 16:36 06 Mar 2011

Try making a completely new connection for your desktop

rawprawn 16:40 06 Mar 2011

What OS are you using? if XP click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 06 Mar 2011

Sometimes the security key settings get corrupted
delete the old connection (profile) and reset connection the laptop with the same profile (SSID and key)

BLUELEN 20:50 07 Mar 2011

Still can't connect to internet thru wired desktop.O/S on desktop is xp pro -- wireless laptop is windows 7.Have used both without a problem for past 10months. If I try and make a new connection with the desktop,will the laptop connection need renewing also? I presume I just set up the connection from the original instructions.Just a bit bothered about having no internet connection at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 07 Mar 2011

Sorry misread that its the wired connection having the problem.

Look in device manager for problems with your network adaptor uninstall and reinstall the driver to see if tath is the problem.

try the cable in a different port on the router
try the cable and router on the laptop to see if the cable or wired part of the router is faulty.

QuizMan 21:01 07 Mar 2011

Is the PC wired through a router. If so, are there lights on the router to show it is connected? Maybe try another port?

At the back of your PC, are there flashing lights at the LAN port? If not, that may be your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?