internet connection problem

rincewind66 19:21 21 Aug 2008

Couldn't connect to internet so I tried a repair, this is the responce I got. Windows could not finnish repairing the problem because the following action can not be completed failed to query T C P/I P Setting of the connection procede. What can I do to correct this please? Also on a different subject, when I installed a new graphics card,it all installed correctly when I restarted the computer I got the message ASUS gamer OSD has encountered a problem and needs to close,What could be causing this. Also when installing the graphics card the p c said it has also found new SM bus hardware but I didn't fit anything else,what is an S M bus. Many thanks

MsTechie 21:26 21 Aug 2008

Which version of Windows are you using?

rincewind66 09:33 22 Aug 2008

windows x p media centre edition hope this helps

rincewind66 19:09 23 Aug 2008

Just to add that now the fan is always on and my dvd recorder is not recording

MsTechie 19:51 23 Aug 2008

These are a mixed bag of problems where there might be one simple solution or lots of trial and error, before we start can you tell me if by any chance you have installed Service Pack 3?

rincewind66 20:08 23 Aug 2008

No I haven't yet

rincewind66 18:57 24 Aug 2008

I had another thread started which I thought had been resolved. As I had a hardware diagnostic done which found I had a faulty graphics card. click here
But since fitting the card these other problems have come to light. The diagnostic said there were no other problems with any hardware. Help I don't know what to try next.

rincewind66 15:42 25 Aug 2008

AS I have put in a more powerful graphics card could it be the PSU causing the problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 25 Aug 2008

AS I have put in a more powerful graphics card could it be the PSU causing the problem

Probably not.

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

then retry if no good the update your drivers

rincewind66 14:58 27 Aug 2008

I ran scannow and it said files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert windows x p pro cd2 now. I checked p c and the 1386 folder is already on p c, is there supposed to be a c d 2 I only have 1. I skipped the above message five times. Fan still all the time. Still no internet. ASUS GamerOSD still encountered problem and needs to close. DVD writer seems to work ok now and SMbus problem has been resolved. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks so far.

Ditch999 16:04 27 Aug 2008

You need an install cd of XP Pro SP2 not a recovery cd.
XP only comes on one cd, are you sure it didnt ask for XP Pro sp2?
Try re-installing/updating the motherboard drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?