internet connection for PC & laptop

  canard 13:34 11 May 2007

Please will some kind soul tell me what gear is needed to run PC and laptop simultaneously from one internet connection.

  Technotiger 13:49 11 May 2007
  skidzy 13:51 11 May 2007

A router or wired network.

If the laptop has a wireless card fitted,you need a router.Now this depends on your phone line.

Cable or BT

If BT you will need an ADSL modem router and a wireless card to one of the computers.

If Cable you need a Modem and a router.

Though if a wired connection is prefered,you need Cat5 cabling.

Some tips here for a wired connection click here=

Please post back your Phone line supplier.
And if any of the computers are fitted with a wireless card.

  skidzy 13:52 11 May 2007

Just to add,you could also use a wireless usb dongle,this will receive the wireless internet connection from the router.

  ArrGee 13:53 11 May 2007

You need a router. There are two main types for home use. One is wireless and the other wired.

In either case, the router plugs into your phone line. You can then use two ethernet cables to plug into the router and your PC and laptop.

However, if your PC and laptop are wireless enabled, you could use a wireless router.

As a cheaper method, if your PC is able to connect to the internet, you could simply plug an ethernet cable in the back of the PC, plug the other end into the laptop, and change the laptop settings to 'Connect via another computer'.

  canard 14:08 11 May 2007

Thankyou all very much, advice appreciated. WHEN I've got the gear will fix as per instructions- fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?