Internet Connection only through BT test socket

PILGRIM-HEIGHTS 13:55 11 Nov 2008

I have Netgear wireless router, Orange Broadband and BT phone line. Main box is in dining room other phone sockets throughout the house. I use an upstairs room as study so connect broadband through the wireless router from this socket. 2 weeks ago this failed but all telephones worked. I have had an IT consultant in & an ex BT engineer. We can connect to internet through back test socket in dining room only, will not work from front plate or any other sockets. Orange & BT say it is a problem in the house. What do I do to rectify?

ambra4 14:08 11 Nov 2008

You can extend the wireless range via the house electrical system look at the

Netgear Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

click here

ambra4 14:10 11 Nov 2008

Sorry wrong thread posted too

oldbeefer2 14:41 11 Nov 2008

Are any of the extension sockets fitted with filters as,if so, it could be one of those gone U/S. Disconnecting the front of the main box would disconnect that problem filter allowing the system to connect in the way you describe

Poitier 14:44 11 Nov 2008

As the test socket works they are correct.The first thing to check is the filters .Suspect that one has developed a fault.There should be one at each socket in use.Unplug everything from the sockets and replace one at a time testing each time .If possible use a new filter for the first one or change it for another.

sinbads 14:47 11 Nov 2008

Preocess of elimination i guess remove all telephone and any other connections to all sockets and try the master socket face plate socket to see if your connection works.

If it works there is a fault with one of telephones, filters, etc , then its a case of eliminating each.

If it still dosen't work then i would suspect a faulty faceplate on master socket

oldbeefer2 15:05 11 Nov 2008

If you have several extensions it can be convenient to fit a BT faceplate with built-in filter. This allows the router to be plugged in and all extensions to be filtered from the master box. An example is shown here click here

PILGRIM-HEIGHTS 15:24 11 Nov 2008

I have tested all filters as suggested. Just had IT engineer back and he has placed a temp split on the main plate which is as oldbeefer2 has suggested. I am now awaiting the ex BT engineer to return. Thanks for help so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?