Internet Connection Oddity

NChick 17:35 21 Oct 2007

Hi. When my laptop tries to connect to the internet, it goes through the motions, makes all the right noises and shows a connection speed and time spent so far, but there's no reaction from I.E. I type addresses that I know work, like Google, the hourglass pops up, but nothing actually happens... nothing!
My laptop has all the correct settings. It's a dial-up connection, with Virgin, with my laptop's internal modem.

brundle 17:40 21 Oct 2007

Ensure your firewall is not blocking IE.

Reset TCP/IP ; click here

If that doesn't help set up the dial up connection again (keep the original, just give the new one a different name). Go to Control Panel/Network Connections/Create a New Connection

NChick 17:48 21 Oct 2007

Have tried new connection trick, Win Xp Home. Have tried with and without firewall. What is TCP/IP? My computer experience is more to do with hardware upgrades and Windows versions, rather than anything internet related (although I'm sure my settings are okay).

woodchip 17:51 21 Oct 2007

IF you are XP turn the Firewall OFF in Security in Control Panel. Its a rubbish program

NChick 17:56 21 Oct 2007

XP's is the only firewall I have!

brundle 18:06 21 Oct 2007

TCP/IP is the protocol used for the internet. XP's firewall is better than nothing, and not such a big deal if you use dialup.

NChick 16:04 16 Feb 2008

I've tried turning the firewall off and can't really afford to pay to get it fixed... any ideas?

woodchip 16:06 16 Feb 2008

Have you done what i said ?

woodchip 16:15 16 Feb 2008

Reboot the modem

NChick 18:13 24 Feb 2008

Have done what you said, Woodchip... and do you mean, reinstall the modem?

brundle 18:19 24 Feb 2008

When you are online, even if IE is not responding, go to start menu/accessories/command prompt

type

ping bbc.co.uk

Press return.

Of the results, the line you are interested in is this one;

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

What do you see when you run the command

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?