Internet connection drops intermittently

LinH 18:06 18 Feb 2007

Internet connection drops intermittently.

This problem, discussed previously in these forums without any firm resolution, has plagued me for some time. And, going by the past posts on the subject, it has evidently been a problem to some degree for other forum members too.

To recap, the problem is as follows:
After several years of smooth running my internet connection has taken to dropping at indeterminate times: it may be a couple of minutes after connecting or several days but eventually it will drop.

All the usual checks on my LAN (two wired pc’s and a wireless laptop via a Belkin modem/router) suggested everything was o.k. All the necessary ADSL filters were in place and a line check by BT revealed nothing wrong. I even moved the router away from my wireless telephone in case of interference but it still kept dropping at odd times.

Then, a couple of months ago I had difficulty having a telephone conversation with my son, there was a kind of soft warbling sound in the background (sorry but that’s the only suitable description I can think of). Then, suddenly, the phone would not work at all, nothing, except that strange noise, now louder. I quickly checked the other two handsets but they were fine, no problem at all. So, intrigued, I fiddled with the rechargeable batteries in the phone and lo and behold, it worked again! Without further ado I changed the batteries for a new set and all was well. Then I noticed that my internet connection had stopped dropping! And that’s the way it has been since. For the past three months the connection has been stable, I’ve left it on continually and it’s not dropped once yet.

A coincidence? Maybe, only time will tell. But if my problem is now resolved and it now helps someone else out it’s worth posting to the forum. Anything’s worth trying when you are clutching at straws!

LinH 23:03 18 Feb 2007

bump

2neat 23:17 18 Feb 2007

Mmmm, I had similar problem. I ended up disconecting all the internal wiring & plugging router into telephone socket by the front door. I noticed a speed increase & no drops. I then rewired internal wiring & connected directly to the back of the first telephone socket. Only used 3 & 5 wires!
Good luck

Dipso 23:38 18 Feb 2007

Interesting...I'll committ this one to memory.

2neat - It's usually wires 2 and 5 click here but if it works for you that's fine.

Ex plorer 01:02 19 Feb 2007

Had that prob too I changed the ADSL filter as a last resort never had a problem since thats a year or two back now.

2neat 20:11 24 Feb 2007

yup, 2 & 5 LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?