Internet connection dropping out

blackbob 14:10 29 Nov 2003

Apologies to Wicker10 for coming in on his thread.I'm having very similar problems my connection speed has dropped dramatically over the last few weeks from an average 40-45 kbps to 26-32kbps and the last few days connection dropping out after between 5-30 minutes.Usually enough time to check emails.System XP home,ISP Etelecom Internet Dialup,have emailed ISP tech. helpline no response yet,unable to phone helpline hearing disability makes phoning very difficult Modem CNXT V9x PC1 Modem(Com 3) Any help appreciated No onscreen messages Norton Anti-virus installed

Socalled 14:18 29 Nov 2003

Do you have a very long telephone extension lead?,if so is it coiled,if not ask bt to increase the GAIN on your telephone line,tell them why you wish this,as you keep getting dropped from your connection.

blackbob 14:41 29 Nov 2003

Thanks for the response Socalled. Extension from master socket down stairs to spare bedroom 10 metre cable not coiled.Will Contact BT as suggested. Any other advice welcome.
Took 6 attempts to get this reply posted

Socalled 14:45 29 Nov 2003

read this, for more info.
click here

bruno 15:45 29 Nov 2003

I had the same problem as blackbob with etelecom .I put up with it for 3 weeks and the answers I was given from etelecom did not provide a cure.I have solved the problem by going on broadband with metronet.

blackbob 16:18 29 Nov 2003

thanks for the responses,I'll wait for a reply from etelecom tech. helpline if the outcome is the same as Bruno's experience will cancel etelecom and find new ISP.unfortunatly can't get broadband yet

David-235429 16:27 29 Nov 2003

I suffered with frequent disconnections with NTL Freedom dial up, often 2 or 3 times an hour. Since changing to AOL 8.0 dial up some 4 weeks ago I have getting connection speeds of between 45k and 49k bps (usually 40k - 46K with NTL) and not a single disconnection.

Stuartli 16:31 29 Nov 2003

Have a look at click here.

Re BT. I had the gain turned up earlier this year because I was having problems with slow connection speeds after a regular 49.2kbps with Tiscali and 52kbps with Pipex.

The result was a very quiet line was turned into a noisy one; a pal, who used to be a BT engineer, checked the house box and rewired it to the latest specifications. No joy.

He suggested I rang BT again and ask to speak to an engineer direct as the fault seemed to be outside my property's wiring; I did and was put through to my local telephone exchange about half-a-mile down the road.

After explaining the circumstances to the engineer that I wished to have the gain returned to normal, he said he would conduct an online (phone) check of my system.

It took about 10 minutes and involved disconnecting and reconnecting my main phone, two extensions and answerphone.

The tests indicated there was a fault with BT's own section of my line and I was assured that I would not have to pay the normal £50 plus VAT charge for the worked required.

The next day a pleasant young man arrived and discovered an earth fault. He completely rewired the system from the house box (on the front of the property) to my (now upgraded) master box, fed the wire under the floorboards rather than under the skirting board and then did several tests.

He pronounced it seemed spot on and we checked the modem speed - back to normal!

In all two hours' work but well worthwhile and all at no charge.

The following day, the pleasant young man's boss turned up. He explained he wished to make a thorough check of the engineer's work and, after 10 minutes examination, said he was impressed with the outcome.

blackbob 10:11 30 Nov 2003

connected this morning 8-15am connection speed only 32kbps butOk for 2hours.does this help in finding solution to previous disconnection problems

Stuartli 10:43 30 Nov 2003

This seems more like a modem driver issue - do you have the latest available?

Try click here to find the latest drivers or key in your modem brand and model (+ driver) into google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017