Internet Connection defaulting to 0871 number

Helen7 18:34 01 Apr 2006

I have tried connecting to internet through usual isp however even thought the number to be dialled is correct in the properties/connect page when I request an internet connection the number changes to an 0871 number. How can I stop this?

Running Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks
H

ICF 18:39 01 Apr 2006

Have you done a virus and spyware check recently
Try this click here

Helen7 18:47 01 Apr 2006

Sorry what I didn't explain is that I cannot get an internet connection on that pc. I know I can through a lapttop so I must ahve to change a setting somewhere

TOPCAT® 18:56 01 Apr 2006

suggests, can you not temporarily set up an account on a friend's computer to log in to check their dialling in details? Would try to check it for you but obviously not be able to gain access to that information. TC.

Helen7 18:57 01 Apr 2006

I've discovered an aol connection also (must have come with computer originally) and this appears to get access to internet although didn't complete becasue don't want to pay!

Helen7 19:00 01 Apr 2006

The details in the connection are correct yet when I click on connect it defaulst to dial another number

Helen7 19:01 01 Apr 2006

The details in the connection are correct yet when I click on connect it defaulst to dial another number

ICF 19:01 01 Apr 2006

Have you done a spyware and Virus check???

Helen7 19:05 01 Apr 2006

Maybe I'm missing something but when I click on your suggestion (through my laptop) I have to access the internet to download a spyware check. I cannot establish an internet connection on the desktop that is giving me problems.

phono 19:14 01 Apr 2006

Try to manually create a new network connection entering in the username, number to dial etc and set it as default.

Try dialling in to your ISP, if the number changes back to an 0871 number you have some sort of malware, spyware or dialer on your system and need to remove it, as already suggested.

ICF 19:16 01 Apr 2006

So you don't have a virus program or anti spyware program already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache