internet connection cuts off after 2 mins. online

marble 20:57 12 Feb 2003

My neighbour needs help regarding this please, if someone could be so kind.

Win 98SE - HSP 56 modem (if I remember correctly) - IE5.5.

No problems in connection to the net, but it cuts him off after about 2 minutes.

I think it is a setting somewhere??? but I have been trying to locate it for a couple of hours or so and can't see the wood for the trees now!!

I've tried a search on this site but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Sorry if I am being repetitive in my question.

Thanks in anticipation of your patience.

marble

pj123 21:58 12 Feb 2003

Is the ISP Onetel?? If so I know 5 other people on onetel who have the same problem.

Confab 22:07 12 Feb 2003

In IE go to Tools, Internet Options, connections, settings, advanced and check that the "disconnect if idle is unchecked".

I could be that your neighbours ISP is cutting him off after a certain amount of idle time. I know some do this.

Amber

marble 22:40 12 Feb 2003

pj123 - his ISP is Virgin - thanks for the onetel info - someone I know has been considering using them.

Amber - that is the bit I was looking for!! - thanks - I will check his machine tomorrow and see what it says in those settings.

Everything was OK on his machine until a couple of days ago.

Will let you know tomorrow.

Cheers
marble

PSF 22:46 12 Feb 2003

It might be an idea to check that the 'disconnect after send/receive' has not been switched on by mistake.

marble 22:52 12 Feb 2003

PSF - thanks - will check that too!

marble

SPRINGER BABE 23:24 12 Feb 2003

I WAS BEING DISCONNECTED FROM AOL ON MY NEW PB WINDOWS XP PC. IT WAS ESTABLISHED MY INSTALLED MODEM WASNT COMPATIBLE THEN DISCOVERED IT WAS A PROB WITH MY SCANNER BEING CONNECTED, WHICH A DOWNLOAD OF 'A SCANNER PATCH' SOLVED THE PROBLEM! IT WAS REALLY INFURIATING WHEN YOU WERE IN MIDDLE OF SOMETHING IMPORTANT. GOOD LUCK!

tarka 16:48 21 Apr 2003

I had the same problem which I solved by downloading a different modem driver. Now works perfectly.

marble 18:45 21 Apr 2003

Thank you everyone.

Neighbour's problem seems to be sorted now.

Not sure exactly what we did to his machine ... but all seems to be in order now. I think we unticked some options - applied the changes - then reticked them and reapplied them.

Thanks for your input folks.

Cheers !

marble

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)